THE PHILIPPINES’ Justice chief on Tuesday rejected calls for his resignation after police arrested his son for drug possession last week.
“It will not happen,” Justice Secretary Jesus Crispin C. Remulla told a news briefing after coming home from a working visit to Geneva. “I will not comment anymore on the other issues there, but it will not happen.”
PDEA Director Derrick Arnold C. Carreon earlier said the younger Mr. Remulla was the lone suspect in the anti-illegal drug operation conducted in Las Piñas City near the Philippine capital.The arrest prompted calls for Mr. Remulla’s resignation, even among some lawmakers who questioned how an impartial probe could be done by prosecutors under the watch of the Justice department.“That is not my call. I am a very honorable person when it comes to this.
“The moment I arrived, I called him immediately when I landed,” Mr. Remulla said. “He just said he commiserates with my plight as a parent, that’s all.”Mr. Remulla said he had yet to talk to his 38-year-old son. “I’ve stayed away from the case. I have not talked to anybody. I have not asked anybody any favor. I just talked to a cousin of mine who’s a lawyer, who will start or has started representing him already.
Mr. Remulla spent touted the success of his Geneva trip, where he met with United Nations officials on the Philippines’ human rights situation. He called the trip productive, citing the UN’s decision not to take action on the Southeast Asian nation.session in Geneva on Oct. 7 without taking action on the Philippines, despite dire expressions of concern from the UN human rights office, civil society organizations and families of victims of abuses.
A September report by the high commissioner’s office highlighted prevailing rights violations and recommended continued monitoring and reporting to the council. “There is a need to humanize our prisoners and to treat inmates as people, not just a number out of 39,000,” he said. “We also have about 318 names of prisoners lined up with the executive secretary for executive clemency.”
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Business groups back ARTA against calls for abolition - BusinessWorld OnlineIn a joint statement on Monday, 32 business groups said the abolition proposal was a matter of concern, adding that “the Ombudsman and the ARTA complement each other’s functions; both should be working together.” READ:
Read more »
Remulla shoots down resignation calls: It will not happenJustice Secretary Jesus Crispin Remulla shot down calls for his resignation amid the arrest of and filing of drug charges against his eldest son. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has previously said that calls for Remulla's resignation have no basis. READ:
Read more »
CCAP optimistic of hitting revenue target this year - BusinessWorld OnlineTHE CONTACT Center Association of the Philippines (CCAP) is confident it will hit its revenue growth target this year, on the back of stronger demand for voice and back-office business processing. READ:
Read more »
OFW remittances jump in August - BusinessWorld OnlineMONEY SENT HOME by overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) jumped 4.3% year on year in August, as migrants took advantage of the peso’s weakness against the US dollar. READ:
Read more »
Marcos says government ready to defend peso - BusinessWorld OnlinePRESIDENT Ferdinand R. Marcos, Jr. on Tuesday said the government is ready to “defend the peso” in the next few months, as its weakness might continue to stoke inflation. READ:
Read more »