Administration senatorial candidates in the Philippines have called for a more issue-focused political discourse following former President Rodrigo Duterte's controversial suggestion that eliminating 15 incumbent senators would create space for his endorsed candidates. Duterte made the remark during a rally last week, prompting condemnations from various political figures.
Alyansa Para sa Bagong Pilipinas senatorial candidates lift their hands for a traditional solidarity shot during a press conference held Tuesday, February 18, 2025 at the Citadines Bay City Manila in Macapagal Boulevard, Pasay City. Administration senatorial candidates dismissed former President Rodrigo Duterte ’s supposed joke about killing 15 incumbent senators to make way for his ticket, emphasizing the need for a more issue-focused political discourse ahead of the 2025 elections.
However, he advised political candidates to focus on discussing issues rather than resorting to personal attacks. “My appeal is for us to help de-escalate the situation instead of escalating it because nothing good will come out of it, especially for ordinary Filipinos like us,” Lacson said. Meanwhile, former Senator Manny Pacquiao said that there’s no need to ‘personally attack’ anyone during the campaign period.
ELECTIONS POLITICS DUTERTE PHILIPPINES CAMPAIGNS
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Filipino Lawmakers Urge Voters to Reject Pro-China CandidatesFilipino legislators have issued a strong warning to voters ahead of the May midterm elections, urging them to reject candidates perceived as pro-China. The call follows a recent incident where a Chinese vessel allegedly targeted a Philippine Coast Guard ship with a sonic device, raising concerns about China's escalating aggression in the West Philippine Sea.
Read more »
Marcos, Duterte Urge Filipinos to Embrace Hope, Unity During Chinese New YearPresident Ferdinand Marcos Jr. and Vice President Sara Duterte both issued messages on Wednesday, January 29, 2025, urging Filipinos to embrace hope, unity, and hard work during the Chinese New Year celebrations. Marcos called for Filipinos to pursue grand ambitions for the greater good, while Duterte emphasized the importance of generosity, harmony, and bayanihan (community spirit).
Read more »
Progressive Groups Welcome Duterte Impeachment, Urge Senate ActionHuman rights lawyer Chel Diokno and several progressive groups celebrated the House of Representatives' vote to impeach Vice President Sara Duterte, urging the Senate to swiftly review the case and hold a trial. They highlighted the significance of the impeachment as a testament to active citizenship and a call for accountability. The groups warned that Filipinos will continue to demand justice and hold power to account.
Read more »
Lawyers Urge Supreme Court to Halt Impeachment Proceedings Against VP DuterteMindanao-based lawyers have filed a petition with the Supreme Court seeking to halt the impeachment proceedings against Vice President Sara Duterte initiated by the House of Representatives. The petition argues that the Articles of Impeachment submitted to the Senate are constitutionally deficient and that Vice President Duterte was not afforded due process. The lawyers also contend that the House of Representatives failed to comply with mandatory constitutional provisions regarding the handling of impeachment complaints. The petition comes as the Senate is currently adjourned, preventing the immediate commencement of the impeachment trial.
Read more »
Duterte Jokes About Killing Senators to Help PDP-Laban CandidatesPresident Duterte caused controversy by making lighthearted remarks about killing senators during the PDP-Laban senatorial proclamation rally. He suggested that killing senators would create vacancies, allowing more of PDP-Laban's candidates to win. Some senators reacted with humor, while others expressed concern about the potential for violence during the election period.
Read more »
Comelec to Issue Resolution Ensuring Equal Debate Opportunities for Senatorial CandidatesThe Commission on Elections (Comelec) is prepared to issue a resolution mandating senatorial candidates to participate in debates organized by media and other groups. Comelec chairperson George Garcia emphasized the importance of equal exposure for all 66 candidates, regardless of party affiliation. The resolution will aim to ensure fair and just treatment and outline sanctions for candidates who refuse to participate.
Read more »