THE government is looking to reduce the influence of middlemen under a revised plan aimed at stabilizing pork retail prices.
State-owned Food Terminal Inc. will be intervening — initially in Metro Manila — by buying hogs directly from farms, having these slaughtered and delivering the meat to retailers, Agriculture Secretary Francisco Tiu Laurel Jr. told reporters on Thursday. 'We're trying to cut out the middleman,' he said, noting that having fewer intermediaries would help lower pork prices.
Agriculture department data show that as of May 28, prices of pork ham in Metro Manila ranged from P350-430/kilo while those for pork belly were at P370-P480/ kilo. Tiu Laurel said that FTI was already testing the implementation of the plan and that Malacañang had been asked to provide standby funding of P500 million. FTI is currently using its own funds and could even end up earning while it implements the revised program.
Readying Fresh Bid To Reduce Pork Prices
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Oil firms set to implement mix price adjustmentsOil companies will implement a mixed price adjustment starting 6 a.m. Tuesday, with gasoline prices rising by P0.10 per liter. Diesel and kerosene prices,
Read more »
OPEC+ expected to open taps more despite price slumpLONDON, United Kingdom — Despite oil trading low at $60, OPEC+ this week is expected to continue to further open the taps.
Read more »
PH fuel price update: Mixed movement for diesel, gasoline effective May 27The changes this week are very minimal
Read more »
Fuel price movements seen mixed next weekLOCAL oil industry sources said that fuel price movements would be mixed next week, due again to the market reacting to the recent global oil-related developments.
Read more »
realme 14 Pro 5G: Premium experience without the flagship price tagrealme has once again made a splash in the midrange smartphone market with the realme 14 Pro 5G, launched in the Philippines on March 20, 2025.Aimed at
Read more »
OPEC+ seen opening taps further despite price slumpLONDON — Despite oil trading low at $60, OPEC+ this week is expected to continue to further open the taps. This follows pressure from US President Donald Trump and group leader Saudi Arabia's quest to penalize allies that breach the cartel's quotas.
Read more »