China says nearly 60,000 people with COVID-19 have died in hospital since it abandoned its zero-COVID policy last month.
abc.net.au/news/china-reports-huge-rise-in-covid-related-deaths-after-data-criti/101856574China says nearly 60,000 people with COVID-19 have died in hospital since it abandoned its zero-COVID policy last month, a huge increase from previously reported figures that follows global criticism of the country's coronavirus data.
Of those fatalities, 5,503 were caused by respiratory failure due to COVID and the remainder resulted from a combination of COVID and other diseases, she said. The UN agency said its Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus had spoken with Ma Xiaowei, director of China's National Health Commission, about the latest outbreak, which the WHO said was similar to what had been seen in other countries.
Authorities had been reporting five or fewer deaths a day over the past month — figures inconsistent with long queues seen at funeral homes and body bags seen leaving crowded hospitals.The World Health Organization has repeatedly voiced concerns that China's official COVID-19 statistics are not showing the true impact of the virus.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
LIVE COVID UPDATES: China says 60,000 people have died with COVID-19″China reported the deaths had occurred since early December as the country abandoned its COVID-zero policy; Joe Biden’s lawyer says more classified documents had been found at the US president’s home. Follow the latest here.
Read more »
China reports almost 60,000 COVID-related deaths since end of zero-COVIDChina has revealed approximately 60,000 people have died in hospital with COVID-19 since Beijing dismantled its zero-COVID policy in early December. China previously held one of the lowest COVID fatality rates in the word, recording just over 5,000 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic in 2020. The increase was documented from December 8 through January 12, however, figures remain inconsistent with authorities also only reporting five or fewer deaths a day over the past month. The World Health Organisation has repeatedly criticised China for under-reporting deaths from COVID.
Read more »
China and Australia held secret COVID-19 meetingsA Chinese official has sensationally revealed a series of meetings have taken place with Australian authorities to discuss “response cooperation” over the country’s spiralling COVID-19 crisis.
Read more »
Nearly 60,000 people have died of Covid in China in past five weeksDeath toll only of those who died in hospital and true figure likely to be higher, although officials say peak has passed in most areas
Read more »
China records 60,000 COVID-related deathsChinese authorities have revealed almost 60,000 people have died with the coronavirus since restrictions were significantly eased.
Read more »