PARIS: France was reeling on Saturday (Jul 1) from a fourth night of rioting as the family of Nahel M, whose shooting by a police officer sparked the unrest, prepared for the teenager's funeral. The government deployed 45,000 police and several armoured vehicles overnight to tackle the worst crisis of Pres
PARIS: France was reeling on Saturday from a fourth night of rioting as the family of Nahel M, whose shooting by a police officer sparked the unrest, prepared for the teenager's funeral.
Buildings and vehicles have been torched and stores looted in the unrest, which has spread nationwide, including to cities such as Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse, Strasbourg and Lille. Rioters in the centre of France's second-largest city looted a gun store and stole hunting rifles but no ammunition, police said. One person was arrested with a rifle likely from the store, police said.Firefighters work to extinguish a burning container in Paris on Jul 1, 2023, as unrest continues following the death of Nahel M, a 17-year-old teenager killed by a French police officer in Nanterre during a traffic stop. A man gestures next to a burning container in Paris on Jun 30, 2023.
Asked on a television news programme whether the government could declare a state of emergency, Darmanin said:"Quite simply, we're not ruling out any hypothesis and we'll see after tonight what the president of the Republic chooses." Darmanin met representatives from Meta, Twitter, Snapchat and TikTok. Snapchat said that it had zero tolerance for content that promoted violence.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
France arrests dozens in unrest after police shootingAngry protests sparked after police shot 17-year-old Nahel M. in the chest on Tuesday. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Bracing for more unrest, Macron urges parents to keep youths at homeAnger over the shooting tapped into decades long complaints about police violence. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
French tourism sector faces cancellations over unrestIt began after the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old who supposedly failed to obey the police. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Paris suburb declares curfew after protests over teen’s deathOvernight violence was sparked by the shooting of a teenager by police during a traffic stop. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
France to require parental consent for minors on social mediaIt is part of moves to reduce children’s screen time and protect them from cyber crimes. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
Bone broken, but ambition intact for Pogacar on Tour de FranceBILBAO, Spain : It is fair to assume that if someone is going to beat defending champion Jonas Vingegaard at this year's Tour de France they will need to be at their best, yet Tadej Pogacar believes he has a shot at the title despite a far-from-ideal preparation. The Slovenian, who last year cracked under
Read more »