Turkish justice officials targeted more than 130 people allegedly involved in shoddy and illegal construction methods.
Play Video
Among those facing scrutiny were two more people who were arrested in Gaziantep province on suspicion of having cut down columns to make extra room in a building that collapsed in the quakes, the state-run Anadolu Agency said. Rescuers, including crews from other countries, continued to probe the rubble in hope of finding additional survivors who could yet beat the increasingly long odds. Thermal cameras were used to probe the piles of concrete and metal, while rescuers demanded silence so that they could hear the voices of the trapped.
Rescue workers pulled out a man in Antakya, hours after hearing voices from beneath the rubble. Workers said the man, who appeared to be in his late 20s or 30s, was one of nine still trapped in the building. But when asked whether he knew of any other survivors, he said he hadn’t heard any voices for three days.
Hatay’s airport, where the runway was damaged, reopened on Sunday, the transportation ministry announced. That should help somewhat getting help into the region.United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Martin Griffiths, visiting the Turkish-Syrian border Sunday, said in a statement that Syrians have been left “looking for international help that hasn’t arrived.”
Political disputes have also held up aid convoys sent from areas of northeast Syria controlled by U.S.-backed Kurdish groups to those controlled by the Syrian government and by Turkish-backed rebels who have fought with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces over the years.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Turkey detains building contractors as quake deaths pass 33,000Turkish justice officials targeted more than 130 people allegedly involved in shoddy and illegal construction methods.
Read more »
Turkey detains building contractors as quake deaths pass 33,000Turkish justice officials targeted more than 130 people allegedly involved in shoddy and illegal construction methods.
Read more »
Death toll in Turkey, Syria quake tops 33,000 as Turkey starts legal action against buildersPresident Tayyip Erdogan promises to rebuild as he faces questions for his response ahead of national elections
Read more »
Death toll in Turkey, Syria quake tops 33,000; Turkey starts legal action against buildersTurkish Vice President Fuat Oktay said 131 suspects had so far been identified as responsible for the collapse of some of the thousands of buildings flattened…
Read more »
Turkish Consulate says deadline for Canadian rescue teams in quake zone has passedTurkey\u0027s consulate in Vancouver says a private group of B.C. volunteers will be the only Canadian search and rescue team in the quake zone.
Read more »
Rescues in Turkey offer moments of relief in quake aftermathRescuers pulled several people alive from the shattered remnants of buildings, some who survived more than 100 hours trapped under concrete
Read more »