Councillors in Toronto are set to consider keeping warming centres open 24-7 for the rest of the winter amid growing calls for homelessness to be declared a public health crisis in the city.
Advocates have increasingly been asking to keep warming centres open around the clock, saying the city policy to open them once temperatures reach minus-15 is cruel, not based in evidence and could be causing preventable cold-related injuries., says a lack of places to take shelter from the cold means those experiencing homelessness are taking refuge in unsuitable public spaces.
City spokesperson Alex Burke says Toronto's four warming centres don't turn anyone away and staff will facilitate referrals to other shelter spaces if a location is at capacity. The Ontario Human Rights Commission expressed concern Friday about what it called the "significant lack of cold weather services in Toronto and across the province," and called on all levels of government to act.
Hospital network Unity Health Toronto said last month it has seen an increase in cold-related injuries like hypothermia and frostbite this winter, as well as from strategies used to survive outside like sleeping in unsafe areas.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Toronto extreme cold: Alert in effect for the city of Toronto and most of southern OntarioAn extreme cold weather alert is in effect for the city and surrounding areas and the temperatures are expected to linger until Saturday morning.
Read more »
Warming centres remain available in Toronto amidst extreme cold, city says - Toronto | Globalnews.caIn a statement, the city said its emergency shelter system had been instructed not to turn anyone away from shelters or warming centres during the extreme cold.
Read more »
Letters: Burnaby city council out of touch with the 'commoners'These high tax increases can't just keep going, this longtime resident says.
Read more »
Toronto named as host city for 2024 NHL all-star gameNHL commissioner Gary Bettman announced Saturday the league's 2024 showcase will be played in Toronto for the ninth time.
Read more »