HONG KONG: Three men were sentenced to imprisonment ranging from 10 days to three months on Monday (March 30) after breaching the compulsory quarantine regulation in Hong Kong amid the Covid-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, the first such cases since the outbreak in December.
A man, 31, will be jailed for three months as he intentionally provided a fake home address to an authorized officer when entering Hong Kong through Shenzhen Bay Port border control point on March 8.The judge said the man's act of providing false information was selfish and showed disregard of social safety, and could frustrate the joint efforts of the Hong Kong society to fight the epidemic.
The other two, aged 37 and 41, were sentenced at the West Kowloon Magistrates' Courts to imprisonment for 10 days and six weeks respectively as they, after being put under quarantine, illegally left the designated residences and tried to leave Hong Kong. The sentences sent a clear message that breaching quarantine orders is a criminal offense, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government said in a statement, stressing that compliance with quarantine orders is of paramount importance in Hong Kong's fight against Covid-19.
The HKSAR government has imposed compulsory quarantines on inbound visitors at home or quarantine centres. Violators face maximum imprisonment for six months and a fine of 25,000 Hong Kong dollars . - Xinhua/Asian News Network
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Hong Kong to provide second round of financial aid to firmsHONG KONG: Hong Kong’s government will introduce a second round of financial assistance for businesses affected by the Covid-19 (coronavirus) outbreak, according to Chief Secretary Matthew Cheung. The subsidies from the Epidemic Prevention Fund would aim to protect workers.
Read more »
Hong Kong to provide second round of financial aid to companiesReturnees have nearly quadrupled the number of Covid-19 infections in the city in the past 2 weeks. FMTNews HongKong
Read more »
Hong Kong shares start on back foot | Malay MailHONG KONG, March 30 — Hong Kong stocks opened with losses this morning as the euphoria from last week’s massive US stimulus and easing measures gave way to ongoing worries about the rapidly spreading coronavirus. The Hang Seng Index fell 1.97 per cent, or 463.43 points, to 23,020.85. The...
Read more »
Overseas returnees flouting self-quarantine order might be placed in quarantine centreCORONAVIRUS | Health DG says some 4,000 Malaysians return from overseas daily since the movement control order started.
Read more »
Poor conditions at Sabah quarantine centres being rectified, says state Health directorKOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Health Department is taking action to improve conditions at three quarantine centres where those quarantined have complained about facilities and conditions.
Read more »
Man jailed 17 months for obstructing Rela during MCONSTnation A man was jailed 17 months for not complying with the Movement Control Order (MCO) Covid19 Coronavirus MCO MovementControlOrder JustStayAtHome DudukRumah
Read more »