Tesla faces new race bias trial from employee who had US$137m verdict cut

Philippines News News

Tesla faces new race bias trial from employee who had US$137m verdict cut
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 malaymail
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 44 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 21%
  • Publisher: 86%

NEW YORK, March 28 — A trial kicked off in San Francisco federal court yesterday to determine how much money Tesla Inc must pay to a Black elevator operator who a jury determined...

NEW YORK, March 28 — A trial kicked off in San Francisco federal court yesterday to determine how much money Tesla Inc must pay to a Black elevator operator who a jury determined was subjected to severe racial harassment while working at the electric auto maker’s flagship assembly plant.

The trial is scheduled to last five days. Last year, a judge slashed the US$137 million verdict that the jury awarded in 2021 to Diaz, one of the largest ever in a US workplace discrimination case, to US$15 million. Diaz’s lawyers rejected the lower payout and opted for a new trial on damages. In his 2017 lawsuit, Diaz accused Tesla of failing to act when he complained to managers that employees at the factory frequently used racist slurs and scrawled swastikas, racist caricatures and epithets on walls and workstations.

US District Judge William Orrick last year reduced the compensatory damages to US$1.5 million and the punitive damages to US$13.5 million. He said that sum acknowledged the pervasive harassment Diaz faced while reflecting that he had worked at the factory for only nine months and had not alleged any physical injury or illness.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

malaymail /  🏆 1. in MY

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Europe’s first majority Black orchestra debuts in New YorkEurope’s first majority Black orchestra debuts in New YorkNEW YORK, March 27 — After more than three decades in the classical music industry, British double bassist Chi-chi Nwanoku began grappling with the question that had troubled her...
Read more »

Actor Jonathan Majors arrested for alleged assaultActor Jonathan Majors arrested for alleged assaultNEW YORK, March 27 — Rising Hollywood star Jonathan Majors was detained in New York over allegations of assault, police said yesterday. Police responded to an emergency call in...
Read more »

Actor Jonathan Majors arrested for alleged assaultActor Jonathan Majors arrested for alleged assaultNEW YORK, March 27 — Rising Hollywood star Jonathan Majors was detained in New York over allegations of assault, police said yesterday. Police responded to an emergency call in...
Read more »

‘Not a crime. Not a misdemeanour’: Trump dismisses New York probe‘Not a crime. Not a misdemeanour’: Trump dismisses New York probeWACO, United States, March 26 — Donald Trump on Saturday shrugged off his possible indictment as he used his first presidential campaign rally for the 2024 election to take aim...
Read more »

Twitter’s source code leaked, shared online for monthsTwitter’s source code leaked, shared online for monthsGitHub, an online platform for software developers where the code was posted, took down the code on Friday, upon Twitter’s request. theSun theSundaily Twitter github sourcecode Online news
Read more »

Elon Musk puts Twitter’s value at just $20 billionElon Musk puts Twitter’s value at just $20 billionSince taking control, Musk has sharply cut the group's payroll from 7,500 employees to fewer than 2,000. theSun theSundaily ElonMusk Twitter Tesla SpaceX
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 13:13:47