Quebec securities regulator executive says watchdog has ‘completely reformed’ its conduct

Philippines News News

Quebec securities regulator executive says watchdog has ‘completely reformed’ its conduct
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 globeandmail
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 58 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 92%

Louis Morisset, chief executive of the Autorité des Marchés Financiers, says the regulator has changed how it performs search and seizure, and processes the material obtained, since a judge lambasted the AMF for its shortcomings five years ago

The head of Quebec’s securities regulator says the watchdog has overhauled the way it handles investigations in the wake of its last major insider-trading case, vowing his teams won’t repeat the same mistakes as it tries to bolster its credibility in fighting white-collar crime.

The AMF is among the provincial securities regulators with the strongest enforcement records, but it failed to win a conviction or sanction of any sort in the Amaya case. A judge in 2018 stayed insider-trading charges against David Baazov, the gambling company’s former chief executive, and two other men, saying the AMF showed a “lack of rigour” in prosecuting the file.

Today, when it conducts search and seizure operations in people’s homes and places of business, the regulator is “much more surgical” and “much more careful” with the material targeted than in the past, Mr. Morisset said. The AMF has also beefed up the computer forensic team processing the material, he said, so that evidence is cut back “to its maximum” before being handed over to its investigators, he said.

Still, the challenges in enforcement are numerous. Among them: Regulators have to respect the Supreme Court’s 2016 ruling in the R. v Jordan case, which established mandatory time limits of 18 months for criminal trials in provincial court or 30 months in superior courts. The idea is that an accused has a constitutional right to a timely trial.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

globeandmail /  🏆 5. in CA

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Pharrell Is Stepping Into The Late Virgil Abloh’s Role As Louis Vuitton Men’s Creative DirectorPharrell Is Stepping Into The Late Virgil Abloh’s Role As Louis Vuitton Men’s Creative DirectorPharrell Williams is making fashion his job. On Tuesday, Louis Vuitton announced that the 'Get Lucky' singer is the company's new Men's Creative Director, stepping into the role previously held by the late Virgil Abloh. [readmore label='READ MORE: ' link='https://etcanada.com/news/859498/louis-vuitton-stages-virgil-abloh-swansong-in-paris/' text='Louis Vuitton Stages Virgil Abloh Swansong In Paris'] 'Louis Vuitton is delighted to welcome Pharrell…
Read more »

Inquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherInquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherA public inquest into the events surrounding the 2020 killing of two young Quebec girls by their father begins today.
Read more »

Inquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their father | Globalnews.caInquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their father | Globalnews.caQuestions have swirled around the investigation into the deaths of the two young girls and whether the tragedy could have been averted.
Read more »

Inquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherInquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherMONTREAL — A public inquest into the events surrounding the 2020 killing of two young Quebec girls by their father begins today.
Read more »

Former Quebec cabinet minister Nadine Girault dead at 63 | Globalnews.caFormer Quebec cabinet minister Nadine Girault dead at 63 | Globalnews.caQuebec Premier François Legault offered his condolences to Nadine Girault's family and friends in a tribute posted on social media Monday.
Read more »

Inquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherInquest begins into 2020 kidnapping and killing of two Quebec sisters by their fatherMONTREAL — A public inquest into the events surrounding the 2020 killing of two young Quebec girls by their father begins today.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-03 19:39:06