A prosecutor on Tuesday apologized to Adnan Syed and the family of Hae Min Lee after announcing that her office would not retry Syed for Lee's 1999 killing.
Marilyn Mosby, the state's attorney for the city of Baltimore, said her office would continue to pursue justice for Lee but that it had closed its case against Syed, who spent 23 years in prison for the killing.“Although my administration was not responsible for neither the pain inflicted upon Hae Min Lee's family, nor was my administration responsible for the wrongful conviction of Mr.
Emily Witty, a spokeswoman for the city of Baltimore's state's attorney's office, said in an email that her office had dropped its case against Syed and would release further details about its decision later Tuesday. A Baltimore judge last month overturned Syed's murder conviction and ordered him released from prison, where the 41-year-old had spent more than two decades. Circuit Judge Melissa Phinn also gave prosecutors 30 days in which to decide whether to retry Syed or drop the charges.
Last week, state Attorney General Brian Frosh's office filed court papers supporting the appeal by Lee's family. Syed has maintained his innocence for decades and captured the attention of millions in 2014 when the debut season of “Serial” focused on the case and raised doubts about some of the evidence, including cellphone tower data.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Charges dropped against Adnan Syed, subject of ‘Serial’ podcastAfter Syed’s murder conviction was overturned last month, Baltimore prosecutors were weighing whether to dismiss his case stemming from the 1999 death of Hae Min Lee or to retry him.
Read more »
Prosecutors drop charges against Adnan Syed in ‘Serial’ caseSpokesperson for Baltimore’s state attorney’s office said that her office had dropped its case against Adnan Syed and would release further details about its decision later
Read more »
Prosecutors drop charges in 'Serial' podcast case: ReportProsecutors dropped charges against Adnan Syed in the 1999 killing of Hae Min Lee, a case that was chronicled in the hit podcast \u0022Serial.\u0022
Read more »
NY congressman Lee Zeldin says 2 people shot in front of his homeNew York congressman and Republican candidate for governor Lee Zeldin says his family is safe after two strangers were shot outside his Long Island home on Sunday.
Read more »
Two People Shot Outside Home of NY GOP Gov. Candidate Rep. Lee Zeldin“One of the bullets was found 30 feet from where my daughters were doing their homework.”
Read more »
US warns Hong Kong against helping sanctioned individualsHONG KONG (AP) — Hong Kong’s leader John Lee said Tuesday he will only implement United Nations sanctions, after the U.S. warned the territory’s status as a…
Read more »