Nanaia Mahuta confirms ‘unwelcome and unnecessary’ deal came as a surprise to New Zealand and Australia, saying the Solomons must provide transparency
Speaking on Monday, Nanaia Mahuta told the Guardian that New Zealand’s first knowledge of the deal was when a draft was leaked online at the end of March, reinforcing statements from the defence minister, Peeni Henare, that it had caught Australia and New Zealand off-guard.
However, Australian politicians have been circumspect about whether the draft deal came as a surprise. Australia’s foreign affairs minister, Marise Payne, and the Pacific minister, Zed Seselja, both confirmed they did not know of the deal until it was leaked online at the end of March, but the prime minister, Scott Morrison, has refused to answer questions about what he knew, or when.
Mahuta added that was “very much a New Zealand-centric view of where the relationship breakdown has occurred … I don’t want to conflate New Zealand’s position with Australia’s – we stand on our own two feet in relation to the way in which we work with our Pacific neighbours.”being built in the Solomons – and in the wider Pacific that the region could become a chessboard for geopolitical powers., and the US said it would “take action” in response to any base being built.
Mahuta tacitly acknowledged those concerns, saying New Zealand’s previous assistance during periods of unrest had been designed to assist the population broadly, rather than to benefit political elites.“New Zealand … when we respond to issues of unrest, like in the Solomons, our response is for all people in the Solomons, not just some people. So, again, it was a curious set of arrangements from our perspective,” she said.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
New Zealand team fumbles and drops rocket
Read more »
Setback for billionaire Peter Thiel’s plan to build luxury lodge in remote New ZealandCouncil planners recommend sprawling development proposed for Wanaka, near Queenstown, be rejected
Read more »
Judge clears New Zealand emergency agency over deadly White Island volcano eruptionA New Zealand judge has cleared the nation's emergency management agency of safety breaches related to the 2019 White Island volcano eruption, which claimed 22 lives.
Read more »
Australia lags behind New Zealand, Taiwan and Timor-Leste on World Press Freedom IndexReporters Without Borders describes press freedom in Australia as 'fragile', citing a high concentration of media ownership and growing political threats.
Read more »
New worries drive restless workers to look aroundCost of living pressures and debt have overtaken the pandemic as the biggest concern for professionals, which could drive workers to chase better pay and jobs.
Read more »
SA has first cases of new virus variantsSouth Australia has reported two cases of new COVID-19 variants but health officials say it is too early to make any call on re-imposing health restrictions. 7NEWS
Read more »