The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for killing more than 70 soldiers, wounding dozens and taking five hostage, in an ambush on a military convoy in northern Burkina Faso.
The statement, posted Friday by Amaq, the group’s news agency, said it attacked a convoy trying to advance to areas under its control near Deou, in the Sahel's Oudalan province. It said it seized weapons and chased retreating soldiers for miles into the desert.
It's unclear how many people have been killed in the two incidents. Last week the government confirmed that 51 soldiers died in the Deou ambush but it has not responded to requests for updated numbers or commented on the attack in Tin-Akoff. “There’s a persistent stream of militant attacks north of the country and the public is undoubtedly taking notice of their government's inability to provide security. Any further attacks this colossal could threaten a public scene and even threaten to unseat the junta,” said Laith Alkhouri, CEO of Intelonyx Intelligence Advisory, which provides intelligence analysis.
The Islamic State and an al-Qaida linked group, known by its acronym JNIM, are not known to work together, but rather have been fighting each other for territory and influence in the country as well as in neighboring Mali where they operate. Analysts say it's extremely unlikely they would have joined forces.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Hockey Canada renews partnership with Sheldon Kennedy’s Respect Group | Globalnews.caHockey Canada says it has renewed and expanded a partnership with Respect Group, an advocacy organization co-founded by former NHL player Sheldon Kennedy.
Read more »
BC school district bans anti-LGBTQ group from presenting at board meetings - Terrace StandardMission Public Schools banned Action4Canada for one year after a graphic January presentation
Read more »
Ontario Indigenous group criticizes federal government’s unmarked graves contract | Globalnews.caThe Anishinabek Nation released a statement expressing its leadership's ``bewilderment'' over Ottawa's $2-million contract with the International Commission on Missing Persons.
Read more »
German mayor strikes deal to stop group's climate roadblocksThe German city of Hannover has reached an agreement with climate activists to stop blocking roads, after its mayor announced Thursday that he supports several of their demands.
Read more »
Algeria dissolves pro-democracy group amid wider crackdownAlgerian authorities on Thursday dissolved a decades-old pro-democracy group that participated in the peaceful protests which helped force the North African country's long-time President Abdelaziz Bouteflika from office in 2019.
Read more »
Indigenous group slams Canada's decision to hire international org. for advice on residential school gravesAn Indigenous political organization representing 39 Ontario First Nations says it is 'confounded' by a federal decision to hire an international organization to provide advice on unmarked graves.
Read more »