More than 150 maximum security prison officers walk off the job

Philippines News News

More than 150 maximum security prison officers walk off the job
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 SkyNewsAust
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 46 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 22%
  • Publisher: 78%

Prison officers at a maximum security facility in western Sydney will walk off the job for 48 hours on Friday over complaints about understaffing, poor pay and unsafe working conditions.

The Public Service Association of NSW said staff at the facility were the worst paid in the country and were routinely understaffed, putting them at risk of harm.

The prison officers are fighting against multinational company MTC, which privately runs the Parklea facility, with PSA assistant general secretary Troy Wright claiming the company would “routinely lie” to the staff about their working conditions. Mr Wright added staff were told they would get every second weekend off but said in reality it was “not unusual” for officers to get one weekend off every six weeks.

“In the last year we have seen a riot and two fires at Parklea Jail, one which caused $8 million in damage. In that same period there have been three deaths at the jail,” he said. The PSA representative also said the prison officers were regularly doing the jobs of two or three staff members, forcing prisoners to remain locked in their cells.

“For example, this week some areas had 480 prisoners who are meant to have 28 officers looking after them. They had just 17.”

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

SkyNewsAust /  🏆 7. in AU

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Has the SS Pacific’s gold-laden wreck been found 150 years after it sank?Has the SS Pacific’s gold-laden wreck been found 150 years after it sank?At stake is a reward of gold worth $7m rumored to have been onboard when the ship went down on a voyage to San Francisco
Read more »

CCTV released of moments before 'suspicious' death of man in Sydney stairwellCCTV released of moments before 'suspicious' death of man in Sydney stairwellA mystery man, found dead in a stairwell in the city, has been identified as a young Chinese traveller. Detectives are now investigating whether an argument in a gaming lounge could have led to his death. SophieUpcroft 9News MORE:
Read more »

Sydney bus driver, 74, charged over death of elderly pedestrianSydney bus driver, 74, charged over death of elderly pedestrianFemale pedestrian, also 74, died after being struck in Sydney’s CBD on Wednesday with bus driver on dangerous driving occasioning death charge
Read more »

Property developer secures bail over blaze that destroyed $24m Sydney houseProperty developer secures bail over blaze that destroyed $24m Sydney houseSteve Nassif is facing charges over his alleged involvement in a suspicious house fire that destroyed a $24 million property on Sydney's lower north shore.
Read more »

'We will never forget them': Premier's tribute to Sydney siege victims'We will never forget them': Premier's tribute to Sydney siege victimsIn a 7NEWS exclusive one-on-one to air tonight on Channel7, the hero police officer who shot and killed gunman Man Monis in the Lindt Cafe siege has broken his 8-year silence on the shooting. 7NEWS
Read more »

Contaminated spinach hospitalises nine people across Sydney, households urged to throw out packagesContaminated spinach hospitalises nine people across Sydney, households urged to throw out packagesNSW Health says Costco's Riviera Farms product is 'not safe to consume and people who have it should throw it out'.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-06 11:36:27