Monkeypox outbreak: WHO calls for public health measures to be stepped up

Philippines News News

Monkeypox outbreak: WHO calls for public health measures to be stepped up
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 ChannelNewsAsia
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 60 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 27%
  • Publisher: 66%

Over 16,000 cases of monkeypox have been reported in 75 countries.

Under the WHO's South-East Asia region, four cases of monkeypox have been reported - three from India and

There are nine other countries grouped by the WHO under the region: Bangladesh, Bhutan, North Korea, Indonesia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Timor-Leste. Singapore, which has reported eight cases since June, is classified under WHO's Western Pacific region.“Monkeypox has been spreading rapidly and to many countries that have not seen it before, which is a matter of great concern. However, with cases concentrated among men who have sex with men, it is possible to curtail further spread of the disease with focused efforts among at-risk population,” said Dr Khetrapal Singh.

“That’s a clear epidemiological signal and that tells us we need to increase testing in that population," said the senior scholar from Johns Hopkins University Centre for Health Security."There will be some spill outside of that demographic group, but the priority has to be protecting the people that are actually at risk.”, given the"self-limiting nature of the disease" and because the"benefits do not outweigh the risk”.

"We need to stay alert and prepared to roll out intense response to curtail further spread of monkeypox."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

ChannelNewsAsia /  🏆 6. in SG

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Monkeypox outbreak constitutes global health emergency - WHOMonkeypox outbreak constitutes global health emergency - WHO(Reuters) -The rapidly spreading monkeypox outbreak represents a global health emergency, the World Health Organization's highest level of alert, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Saturday. The WHO label - a 'public health emergency of international concern' - is designed to sound an alarm that a coordinated international response is needed and could unlock funding and global efforts to collaborate on sharing vaccines and treatments. Members of an expert committee that met on Thursday to discuss the potential recommendation were split on the decision, two sources who spoke on the condition of anonymity told Reuters earlier, but the final decision falls to the U.N. agency's director-general.
Read more »

Monkeypox: most of WHO's recommendations already in place in Singapore, says MOHMonkeypox: most of WHO's recommendations already in place in Singapore, says MOHMost of the recommendations issued by WHO in declaring monkeypox a public health emergency of international concern are already in place, said Singapore's Ministry of Health.
Read more »

WHO calls monkeypox a global health emergency following surge in casesWHO calls monkeypox a global health emergency following surge in casesGENEVA - World Health Organization's director-general on Saturday (July 23) declared monkeypox a global health emergency. Members of a WHO expert group were previously split over whether the monkeypox outbreak represents a global health emergency. The committee, which met on Thursday, provides advice to WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, who was responsible for making the final decision over whether to...
Read more »

WHO calls monkeypox a global health emergency: TedrosWHO calls monkeypox a global health emergency: TedrosGENEVA: The head of the World Health Organization on Saturday (Jul 23) declared the monkeypox outbreak to be a global health emergency -- the highest alarm it can sound. 'I have decided that the global monkeypox outbreak represents a public health emergency of international concern,' Tedros Adhanom Ghebre
Read more »

WHO chief declares monkeypox a global health emergencyWHO chief declares monkeypox a global health emergencyGENEVA: The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Saturday (Jul 23) declared the monkeypox outbreak as a global health emergency - the highest alarm it can sound. 'I have decided that the global monkeypox outbreak represents a public health emergency of international concern,' Tedros Adhanom Ghebr
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-08-30 00:28:09