Italy migrant tragedy death toll over 60; dozens missing

Philippines News News

Italy migrant tragedy death toll over 60; dozens missing
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 CP24
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 39 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 19%
  • Publisher: 67%

The death toll rose to 62 in the migrant tragedy off Italy's southern coast after rescue crews recovered three more bodies Monday, driving home once again the desperate and dangerous boat crossings of people seeking to reach Europe. Dozens more were believed to be missing.

At least seven children perished after a wooden boat broke up in stormy seas on the shoals off the Calabrian coast Sunday. Another 80 people survived, but more were feared dead given survivor reports that the boat, which set off from Turkey last week, had carried about 170 people.

On Monday, two coast guard vessels searched the seas north to south off Steccato di Cutro while a helicopter flew overhead and a four-wheel vehicle patrolled the beach. A strong wind whipped the seas that still churned up splinters of the boat, gas tanks, food containers and shoes. Italy is a prime destination for migrant smugglers, especially for traffickers launching boats from Libyan shores, but also from Turkey. According to U.N. figures, arrivals from the Turkish route accounted for 15% of the 105,000 migrants who arrived on Italian shores last year, with nearly half of those fleeing from Afghanistan.

The rescue operation was declared early Sunday after the busted-up remains of the boat were discovered on the shore near Crotone, Frontex said.

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CP24 /  🏆 30. in CA

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Death toll at 62 in Italy migrant tragedy; dozens missingDeath toll at 62 in Italy migrant tragedy; dozens missingThe death toll rose to 62 in the migrant tragedy off Italy's southern coast after rescue crews recovered three more bodies on Monday, driving home once again the desperate and dangerous boat crossings of people seeking to reach Europe. Dozens more were believed to be missing.
Read more »

Migrant boat breaks apart near southern Italy, leaving 43 deadMigrant boat breaks apart near southern Italy, leaving 43 deadAt least 43 migrants perished when their overcrowded wooden boat smashed into rocky reefs just off southern Italy at dawn Sunday, the Italian Coast Guard said.
Read more »

Dozens dead after migrant boat breaks apart off Italy, 80 survivors rescuedDozens dead after migrant boat breaks apart off Italy, 80 survivors rescuedRescue operation involving a helicopter, police aircraft, the coast guard and border police, was underway as local fishermen also join the search for survivors
Read more »

Migrant boat breaks apart off Italy; 43 dead, 80 survivorsMigrant boat breaks apart off Italy; 43 dead, 80 survivorsAt least 43 migrants perished when their overcrowded wooden boat smashed into rocky reefs just off southern Italy at dawn Sunday, the Italian Coast Guard said.
Read more »

Migrant boat breaks apart off Italy; dozens dead, 80 surviveMigrant boat breaks apart off Italy; dozens dead, 80 surviveAt least 45 migrants died when their wooden boat smashed into rocky reefs and broke apart off southern Italy before dawn Sunday
Read more »

Migrant boat breaks apart off Italy; dozens dead, 80 surviveMigrant boat breaks apart off Italy; dozens dead, 80 surviveAt least 45 migrants died when their wooden boat smashed into rocky reefs and broke apart off southern Italy before dawn Sunday
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 02:26:28