HEADLINES: Govt, police brace for huge Iglesia rally | January 12, 2025
Good day. Here are the stories for The Manila Times for Sunday, January 12, 2025.Today's episode is brought to you by Wilcon Depot, The Philippines' leading home improvement and construction supplies retailer—your Trusted Building Partner.
READ: Govt, police brace for huge Iglesia rallySCHOOLS and government offices will close, and thousands of police will be deployed on Monday to oversee a planned 'million-strong' rally by Iglesia ni Cristo opposing calls to unseat Vice President Sara Duterte, officials said. The security preparations were announced on Friday ahead of the 'national rally for peace' by the conservative INC, which last month said it opposed moves in the House of Representatives to impeach Duterte. The powerful religious group, which is estimated to have more than 2 million members, has considerable clout in a country that is 80 percent Catholic. Three impeachment complaints have been filed in the past two months against Duterte, a former ally of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.; she is also being investigated over an alleged plot to have him assassinated. The Manila Times tried to reach the complainants and lawmakers who endorsed their impeachment complaints, but no one responded to a request for comments on the INC rally. The INC announced on its television network last month that it opposed calls for the impeachment of Duterte, the daughter of former leader Rodrigo Duterte, who is widely expected to run for president in 2028. Members of the group are required to vote for political candidates who have been blessed by its leaders, making it a valuable political bloc. Iglesia's official spokesman declined to comment when contacted on Friday. Government offices and schools in the capital will be closed on Monday 'to allow for the organized conduct of the event,' Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin announced in a written order on Friday.READ: Budget cuts could affect tourism targetsTOURISM Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco said reduced budget allocations and strict guidelines for tourists entering the Philippines could hold back efforts to reach the government's targeted arrivals this year. The Department of Tourism said funds for the agency's branding and marketing campaigns under the General Appropriations Act for 2025 have been reduced from what was recommended.READ: Group seeks to counter Chinese goals in WPSSINGER-TURNED-ADVOCATE Rannie Raymundo, along with the civic organization Fraternal Order of Philippine Eagles, is leading the charge in launching a nationwide movement to unite Filipinos in response to the rising tensions in the West Philippine Sea . Raymundo said the initiative, called the WPS Eagles Movement, seeks to rekindle a sense of patriotism among Filipinos while galvanizing collective action to defend the country's territorial rights. With a foundation rooted in nationalism, patriotism, and humanitarian service — principles at the heart of the Philippine Eagles — the movement stands as a force against external intimidation and disinformation campaigns. The WPS Eagles Movement plans to conduct public awareness campaigns, including seminars, media initiatives, and cultural projects, to help inform citizens about the maritime dispute while inspiring patriotism. Raymundo said they would also focus on influencing policies, supporting fisherfolk rights and rallying international backing for the Philippines' claims. To combat disinformation, the movement will implement fact-checking initiatives and citizen training programs to counter propaganda.READ: Trump gets 'unconditional discharge' in hush-money case before inaugurationA New York judge on Friday meted out no penalty to incoming US president Donald Trump, convicted last year in a high-profile hush-money case — a ruling that came ahead of his return to the White House later this month. Judge Juan Merchan sentenced Trump to an 'unconditional discharge,' though he was found guilty in May on all 34 counts of falsifying business records to cover up a payment to silence an adult film star about an alleged extramarital affair ahead of the 2016 presidential election, according to Reuters and other outlets.BUSINESS: Fab FiveA POCKET-SIZED soap made of paper with activated charcoal from used or spent coffee grounds is expected to be among the additions to the coffee trend in this generation. The product, developed by five students of Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management in WCC Aeronautical and Technological Institute in Binalonan town, Pangasinan province, late last year won the Sustainability Project contest of the Commission on Higher Education Ilocos Region and the SM City Urdaneta Central.SPORTS: Petecio targets one more Olympic runHeading to the Paris Olympics last year, Filipino boxer Nesthy Petecio said that it was going to be her second and last trip to the Games, or so she thought. During the awarding ceremony of the women's 57-kilogram class when she claimed a bronze medal in Paris last August, Petecio, after all, wasn't so sure about stopping her quest for an Olympic gold. Thus, the first female Filipino boxer to medal at the Games asked God for a sign if she's done or if she's going to give it one more shot. While an Olympic gold is her ultimate goal in 2028, Petecio, who claimed a silver medal at the Tokyo Games in 2021, said that she isn't looking that far ahead. The Los Angeles Olympics isn't around until three years, after all. For now, the 33-year-old Petecio is focused on becoming a world champion and defending her Southeast Asian Games gold medal.READ: Opinion and editorialMarlen Ronquillo is today's front page columnist, where he talks about Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia Frasco's recent statements over the state of the Philippine tourism industry.Today's editorial says a recent Department of Agriculture plan to bar rice traders and retailers from labeling their goods as imported is a mere 'band-aid plan'. Read the full version in the paper's opinion section or listen to the Voice of the Times.For more news and information, read The Manila Times on print, subscribe to its digital edition or log on to www.manilatimes.net. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok and LinkedIn; and be part of our communities on Viber, Telegram, and Mastodon.
Govt Police Brace For Huge Iglesia Rally January 12 2025
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
HEADLINES: Govt to pursue defiant POGOs | December 14, 2024HEADLINES: Govt to pursue defiant POGOs | December 14, 2024
Read more »
Manila Times Headlines for January 4, 2025The Manila Times news headlines for January 4, 2025, cover President Marcos Jr.'s NSC reorganization, a suspected Chinese drone found off Masbate, and the DOH dismissing reports of a new epidemic in China.
Read more »
PNP prepares for Iglesia ni Cristo rally on January 13Latest Philippine news from GMA News and 24 Oras. News, weather updates and livestreaming on Philippine politics, regions, showbiz, lifestyle, science and tech.
Read more »
Davao City Roads to be Closed for Nationwide Iglesia ni Cristo Peace RallyThe Davao City Council approved the closure of several major roads for a nationwide peace rally organized by the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) on January 13, 2025.
Read more »
Davao City Streets to Close for Iglesia ni Cristo Peace RallySeveral streets in Davao City will be temporarily closed to accommodate a peace rally organized by the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) on January 13, 2025.
Read more »
Gov’t work, classes suspended in Manila, Pasay on January 13 for Iglesia Ni Cristo rallySeveral other pocket rallies will also be held in other cities around the nation to show support for Vice President Sara Duterte, who is currently facing three impeachment complaints
Read more »
