Western Cape Premier says investigators are on the scene of a building collapse in George to unearth what caused the tragedy.
Western Cape Premier Alan Winde has launched an investigation into the collapse. Picture Courtney Africa
Over 110 emergency personnel are currently on site to rescue about 48 trapped construction workers. Rescuers are in contact with 11 people, four in a basement, in the rubble.Addressing the media on Tuesday morning, Winde said engineers and investigators are already on-site to uncover what caused the collapse.
“We have to find out why a building like this collapses and no stone will be left unturned to uncover what caused this accident.”Western Cape Premier Alan Winde said the families and friends of the construction workers involved in the incident have been given space to gather in the foyer of the main municipal building.The municipal building is opposite the scene of the tragedy and was closed on Monday as a safety precaution.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Winde says dreams of 1994 have faded due to crime and unemployment - SABC NewsWestern Cape Premier, Alan Winde, addressed DA supporters in Cape Town on Saturday.
Read more »
Housing activists confront Alan Winde at coffee shopCampaigners want government car parks developed for affordable inner-city housing.
Read more »
Elections 2024: Winde aims for 51% in Western Cape, Zille roped in to 'mobilise best outcome'Elections 2024: Winde aims for 51% in Western Cape, Zille roped in to 'mobilise best outcome'
Read more »
Activists press Western Cape Premier on CBD parking lot conversion to social housingNumerous housing activists and civic groups intercepted Western Cape Premier Alan Winde, urging action on converting Cape Town CBD parking lots into social housing.
Read more »
Winde says WC govt will invest almost R3bn to upskill youthWestern Cape Premier Alan Winde noted that while the province's unemployment rate was lower than the rest, too many young people are still without jobs.
Read more »
No major incidents as Western Cape battles severe weather conditionsWestern Cape premier Alan WInde says there have been no majority incidents reported so far as heavy rainfall hit the province.
Read more »