Northwest Territories health minister alarmed at high number of suicides in 2022
The Northwest Territories health minister says recent statistics indicating an increase in suicides in the territory are “devastating.”
The report says there were 11 deaths by suicide last year, which accounted for eight per cent of all deaths in the territory. Since 2011, there have been an average of 10 suicides annually, with a peak of 13 in 2014 and 2018.“The numbers are alarming,” Health and Social Services Minister Julie Green wrote in a statement Tuesday.
The report says the majority of suicides over the past two years have been among men aged 20 to 29. They accounted for nearly 45 per cent of all suicides. Green said the N.W.T. government is working closely with the community of Tuktoyaktuk in that region as “they have experienced significant loss in recent months.” CBC reported that additional mental health resources were sent to the community in late September.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
'Alarming' number of suicides in N.W.T. prompts coroner to release data earlier than usual | CBC NewsIn an unusual move on Monday, the Northwest Territories chief coroner released early data on suicide in the territory after noticing an 'alarming' upsurge in these kinds of deaths.
Read more »
Nova Scotia Health researching text message support for mental health and addictions patients | SaltWireA new Nova Scotia Health study will examine how positive and supportive text messages sent to mental health and addiction patients can impact recovery. | SaltWire
Read more »
Poland demands $1.3 trillion in war damages from Germany – Terrace StandardWarsaw says reparations would close painful chapters, Germany says were closed decades ago
Read more »
People Share 30 Luxuries That Used To Be Just Normal ThingsA life of luxury means something a little different than it did several decades ago...
Read more »
Enbridge CEO Al Monaco retiring at beginning of 2023 - BNN BloombergEnbridge CEO Al Monaco is retiring from the company after a decade at the helm.
Read more »