Agreement on ’30 by 30’ target forced through by Chinese president, ignoring objections from African states
Governments appear to have signed ato halt the destruction of Earth’s ecosystems, but the agreement seems to have been forced through by the Chinese president, ignoring the objections of some African states.
After more than four years of negotiations, repeated delays due to the Covid-19 pandemic and talks into the night on Sunday in Montreal, nearly 200 countries –– signed an agreement at the biodiversity Cop15, which was co-hosted by Canada and China, to put humanity on a path to living in harmony with nature by the middle of the century.
In an extraordinary plenary that began on Sunday evening and lasted for more than seven hours, countries wrangled over the final agreement. Finally, at about 3.30am local time on Monday, news broke that an agreement had been struck. The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s negotiator appeared to block the final deal presented by China, telling the plenary that he could not support the agreement in its current form because it did not create a new fund for biodiversity, separate to the existing UN fund, the global environment facility . China, Brazil, Indonesia, India and Mexico are the largest recipients of GEF funding, and some African states wanted more money for conservation as part of the final deal.
Negotiators from Cameroon, Uganda and the DRC expressed incredulity that the agreement had been put through. The DRC said it had formally objected to the agreement, but a UN lawyer said it had not. The negotiator from Cameroon called it “a fraud”, while Uganda said there had been a “coup d’état” against the Cop15.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Cop15 negotiators close to agreeing nature deal as talks draw to endFinal agreement could see better protection for vital ecosystems and big reforms to agriculture
Read more »
Greens lambast Labor for failing to offer extra funding for global nature deal at Cop15While other countries have made additional pledges, Australia criticised for failing to offer more than its budget commitments
Read more »
The US touts support for biodiversity – but at Cop15, it remains on the sidelinesWashington hasn’t signed a 30-year-old pact, leaving Biden’s envoy in the role of ‘influencer’ in Montreal
Read more »
Cop15 brokers talk up hopes for nature deal as conference enters final stretchAgreement will need to strike consensus over sources and mechanisms to fund conservation
Read more »
Cop15: UK accused of hypocrisy over environment protection targetsDespite backing calls to protect 30% of world’s land and sea by 2030, UK has no such target in its own plans
Read more »
Historic agreement reached at UN biodiversity conferenceNegotiators reached a historic deal at a UN biodiversity conference that would represent the most significant effort to protect the world’s lands and oceans and provide critical financing to save biodiversity in the developing world
Read more »