PARIS : A top Czech chess tournament has been forced to accept Ukrainian players after initially refusing to register them, following a warning from FIDE, the game's international governing body.'The Teplice situation is resolved. The organiser changed his attitude upon getting a warning from FIDE,' FIDE
PARIS : A top Czech chess tournament has been forced to accept Ukrainian players after initially refusing to register them, following a warning from FIDE, the game's international governing body.
"The Teplice situation is resolved. The organiser changed his attitude upon getting a warning from FIDE," FIDE CEO Emil Sutovsky told Reuters on Thursday.Last Sunday, the Teplice Open organiser told the NSS chess website that"the current political situation does not favour chess and the tournament is deprived of grandmasters from Ukraine, which even though they have signed up, we cannot accept for serious reasons, although reluctantly.
Nudged on Facebook by Czech International Master Tadeas Kriebel about those"serious reasons", organiser Pavel Kirs replied:"My personal opinion is that Ukrainian men of military age should fight with a weapon in hand on the battlefield for their country and not in peace with wooden piece in hand on a chessboard for money."
That refusal to let Ukrainian players sign up led to FIDE's intervention, and although registration has now closed,"the organiser promised to write back to the players he declined, today," Sutovsky said.Source: Reuters
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Chess-Russia's Karjakin likely to skip World Cup, polls followers on social mediaPARIS : Chess grandmaster Sergey Karjakin, who last year was banned for publicly backing Russia's invasion of Ukraine, is unlikely to take part in the World Cup after his social media followers urged him not to participate without the Russian flag or anthem.World number 11 Karjakin missed last year's Cand
Read more »
Chess-Karjakin likely to skip World Cup, Carlsen's coach calls for sanctionsPARIS :Sergey Karjakin, who last year was banned for publicly backing Russia's invasion of Ukraine, is unlikely to take part in the World Cup after his social media followers urged him not to participate without the Russian flag or anthem.World number 11 Karjakin missed last year's Candidates Tournament after
Read more »
UN nuclear watchdog asks Russia, Ukraine to protect Zaporizhzhia plantWASHINGTON: UN International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Rafael Grossi on Tuesday (May 30) asked Ukraine and Russia to respect five principles to safeguard Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, suggesting he had not secured their agreement on protecting the facility. Grossi has been trying for
Read more »
UN nuclear watchdog asks Russia, Ukraine to protect Zaporizhzhia plantIAEA chief Rafael Grossi has not managed to secure their agreement on protecting the facility. Read more at straitstimes.com.
Read more »
IMF reaches staff agreement on Ukraine loan review; will enable US$900 million disbursementWASHINGTON: The International Monetary Fund said on Tuesday (May 30) that it has reached a staff-level agreement with Ukraine for the first review of the war-torn country's US$15.6 billion IMF loan program, which would allow for a US$900 million disbursement to Kyiv upon approval by the IMF Executive Board.
Read more »
Russia has given passports to 1.5 million people in annexed Ukraine: Russian PMRussia has given passports to almost 1.5 million people living in the annexed parts of Ukraine's Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions since last October, Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin said on Tuesday (May 30). Moscow claimed the four Ukrainian regions as its own last September, sev
Read more »