Hundreds of angry locals who don’t want a “mega brothel” on their doorstep found themselves unexpectedly on the same side as sex workers who want to stay in their red neon booths. theSun theSundaily redlightdistrict protest Amsterdam WorldNews
In this file photo taken on March 30, 2023 Sex workers and sympathisers take part in a demonstration to protest plans to shutter the city's historic red light district, to be moved to a new erotic centre, in Amsterdam on March 30, 2023. - AFPPIX: The atmosphere was tense as residents confronted Amsterdam’s mayor on a controversial plan to move legal prostitution from the city’s historic red light district to a suburban “erotic centre”.
“It’s not possible,“ one mother said in tears at the meeting in the south of Amsterdam, near one of three sites that Halsema has proposed for the 100-room erotic centre. “The mayor says we are just a tourist attraction and people come and laugh at us,“ one sex worker who gave her name as Michelle told AFP after the meeting. “That’s just not the case.”The issue has turned into a battle for the future of Amsterdam, as it tries to shed its “sin city” image and ease the impact of mass tourism, while still keeping its soul.
In March, dozens of sex workers wearing masks and carrying banners saying “Save the Red Light” confronted the mayor at city hall, saying the plans would harm their livelihoods and were unsafe.The row even involved the European Medicines Agency , which has strongly opposed the fact that two of the proposed sites are near its new headquarters in south Amsterdam, where it moved after Brexit.
“There are also trans and gay” sex workers for whom there is “no place, and this centre offers them an option,“ he told AFP.De Vos was one of the sex workers who protested in Amsterdam recently against the plans and also against increasingly restrictive measures in the Wallen. But opponents say the measures are a “witch hunt”, and have argued for years that simply moving out prostitution would impact their livelihood without solving the problems of the crime-plagued neighbourhood.
Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines
Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.
Jerusalem prayers end peacefully after days of violenceThe Al-Aqsa compound has been at the centre of a security crisis since last week.
Read more »
Ministry awaits police probe on childcare centre neglect allegation, says NancyKUCHING, April 9 — The Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development (KPWKM) is waiting for police to complete their investigation into a woman’s allegation that her baby...
Read more »
Puspakom offering free vehicle inspection in conjunction with Hari RayaVehicle inspection is free to all drivers and private vehicle owners beginning tomorrow until April 20. theSun theSundaily infotrafik security safety Puspakom Aidilfitri
Read more »
Apartment building collapses in MarseilleMOSCOW: A four-story apartment building collapsed in the centre of Marseille overnight, Sputnik quoted French media reports.
Read more »
Two killed, one hurt as car rams into parked vehicles in Batu PahatTwo men were killed while one was injured after their car rammed into four parked vehicles near a service centre in Batu Pahat, Johor. Read more at
Read more »