After 73 years of marriage, this couple is forced to live apart | CBC News

Philippines News News

After 73 years of marriage, this couple is forced to live apart | CBC News
Philippines Latest News,Philippines Headlines
  • 📰 CBCNews
  • ⏱ Reading Time:
  • 53 sec. here
  • 2 min. at publisher
  • 📊 Quality Score:
  • News: 25%
  • Publisher: 99%

An Ottawa couple has had to live in separate care facilities for 19 months, despite their children's efforts to reunite them, which one doctor calls a 'human tragedy'.

Gwen and John celebrate their wedding anniversary in the summer of 2021. This was the first of two anniversaries, thus far, where they've lived apart.

The couple had been living at Portobello Manor in Orléans until June 2021. At that point, John had been leaving the residence — sometimes in the middle of the night — and needed to be moved to Perley Health for his care.

"I think there should be some room … to reunite people who have been married for decades. There's a physical [care] need, but there's also a mental need and I think that needs to be addressed," she said. Dr. Samir Sinha, director of geriatrics at Mount Sinai Hospital and University Health Network in Toronto, said spousal reunification has continually moved down the priority list in the long-term care admission system.

"While spousal reunification takes a bit more priority over people who just generally want to transfer … they're bumped lower down on the current waiting list by people who are in crisis," he said. The agency said its teams continue to work with patients and their families to "find and offer creative solutions to bring spouses closer together."

We have summarized this news so that you can read it quickly. If you are interested in the news, you can read the full text here. Read more:

CBCNews /  🏆 2. in CA

Philippines Latest News, Philippines Headlines

Similar News:You can also read news stories similar to this one that we have collected from other news sources.

Ottawa undermined Canadians' language rights with ArriveCAN app, language commissioner says | CBC NewsOttawa undermined Canadians' language rights with ArriveCAN app, language commissioner says | CBC NewsAn Ottawa man travelling in the U.S. in 2021 tried to obtain the French version of the ArriveCan application without success, despite indicating on his user profile that French was his preferred language for communications with the federal government.
Read more »

Ottawa police investigating report of shots fired in south Ottawa Saturday nightOttawa police investigating report of shots fired in south Ottawa Saturday nightThe Ottawa Police Service said that no one was found with injuries at the scene of reported gunfire on Saratoga Place Saturday night.
Read more »



Render Time: 2025-04-05 00:07:17